Friday, November 14, 2008

who's flynn?

so, during an IM conversation today i heard, or more accurately read the expression 'in like flynn', baffled and confused by this i pushed for an explanation. and more specifically, who the fuck is this flynn person?
unable to get any sort of reasonable answer from kai, i took matters into my own hands.

so, who is flynn?


“What is the derivation of in like Flynn?”


Reference books almost universally assert that this set phrase, an American expression meaning to be successful emphatically or quickly, especially in regard to sexual seduction, refers to the Australian-born actor Errol Flynn. His drinking, drug-taking and sexual exploits were renowned, even for Hollywood, but the phrase is said to have been coined following his acquittal in February 1943 for the statutory rape of a teenage girl. This seems to be supported by the date of the first example recorded, in American Speech in December 1946, which cited a 1945 use in the sense of something being done easily.

3 comments:

kula said...

Ok. So you know when people say weird things and over time they get used in strange circumstances..ie.."Bitchen" or "rockin' like dokken"...etc. I have always heard my mom use the phrase "In like Flynn" and I never knew this person flynn. I have a feeling mybe my mother didn't either, seeing her feminist ways would make her not want to be "in" with someone who was a womanizing rapist like Errol Flynn.

I learned something today, thanks james.

albion said...

rapist? didn't you read it? it says he was acquitted...

Loralu said...

I can never get reasonable answers from Kai about anything. :)

I love learning the meaning behind slang phrases like this. Thanks!